Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Blueberry grudges

Let me start by saying that as a general rule, I think that whipped cream improves everything.   OK, maybe not sushi, but you know what I mean.  I kind of have a grudge against blueberries.  When I was running my business I spent countless hours baking delicious muffins but all anyone ever wanted was blueberry.  White chocolate strawberry?? No, thanks!  Apple streusel??  Meh.  I swear, I could have offered solid gold muffins for $2 but people would have still turned up their nose and asked, "Don't you have any blueberry?"  So I became bitter towards the blueberries, whom I wasn't all that crazy about to start with.  Now that I've had some distance from  my blueberry muffin days, I look at the little berry fondly again, and without giving them the stink-eye.  While they are still my least favorite of the berries, I think blueberries, like mostly anything, are vastly improved with whipped cream.  And ice cream.  So here is a blueberry pie topped with whipped cream.  Blueberries are very good for you, so it's OK to splurge on the cream.  Because life is all about balance.  And letting go of grudges.

Blueberry Pie (with Whipped Cream)

1 9-inch graham cracker crust

2 pints blueberries (mine were frozen)
juice and zest of one lemon
sugar to taste, I used 1/2 cup
4 Tb. instant Clearjel (or about 2 Tb. cornstarch)
1/2 cup water

2 cups heavy whipping cream
3 Tb. powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

If you are using instant Clearjel, combine it with the sugar first, and then add to all the other ingredients in a small sauce pot.  Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, and then reduce to low and  simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring often.  Pour the filling into the graham cracker crust, smooth the top and put into the refrigerator for a few hours, until cold.

Whip the cream with the sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks are formed.  Cover the pie with the whipped cream, or use a piping bag and star tip if you want to make it fancy.  Enjoy!


Nothing like a thick ring of whipped cream to making everything better!

No comments:

Post a Comment