Friday, August 12, 2011

A Pie in the Hand

What could possibly be better than a pie you can easily heat out of your hands?!!  I've been thinking about it and I tell ya, I'm hard pressed to come up with something!  I originally wanted to fry these adorable little pies, like those Hostess fruit pies I enjoyed as a child.  Unfortunately when I went to the cupboard I found that I didn't have enough vegetable oil, so I just baked them.  But don't worry, fried pies will be coming soon!

This isn't so much a recipe as simple guidelines.  Don't be a slave to recipes.  Like I'm always saying, its good to experiment!  So many people feel  like they must have a recipe to follow, but you don't need that.  Have confidence in your skills and just go for it!  I made these delicious hand pies with fresh Colorado peaches, but feel free to substitute whatever fruit you like.

1 recipe for a double crust pie, or pre-made pie crust
fruit (I used 7 small peaches, peeled and chopped)
sugar (I used 1/2 cup)
juice of one lemon

Combine the peaches, sugar and lemon juice in a small  pot.  I mashed the peaches up with a potato masher but didn't go too crazy so they would still have some texture.  Cook the fruit over medium heat until the mixture is very thick, stirring often to keep the bottom from sticking and burning.   The fruit should stay in a thick mound, not run together.  This could take about 30 minutes, depending on the juiciness of your fruit.  Put the mixture into a bowl and let cool.

Pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees.  Roll out the dough and cut it into circles as big or small as you like.   Mine were 6-inch circles.  Spoon the cooled filling onto the dough, being careful not to put too much because you don't want it oozing out all over the place.  Brush the edge of the crust with water and fold the top half of the circle over the filling, enclosing it completely.  Use a fork to crimp the edge of the crust together, making sure it seals well.  Put the pies on a sheet pan and cut a vent into each pie.  If you like, you can brush them with heavy cream and sprinkle them with sugar.  Bake in the hot oven until the crust is golden brown and juices bubble out the vents.  Depending on the size of your pies this could take about 10 to 20 minutes.  Enjoy warm or cool, with ice cream or whipped cream, or just right out of your hand!

Ta da!!  Precious hand pies!
Delicious peach filling.
Mmmmmm. Pie.

2 comments: